XANSYS Forum Index
    Register    

FAQ    Search    Memberlist    Usergroups    SmartFeedSmartFeed    Profile    Log in
Stress Linearization - WB Vs Classic - Different Results?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS
phil.salois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all,

Consider I have modeled a beam attached to a wall in workbench. I then created a path that goes through the center of the cross section where the beam attaches to the wall.

I linearized stress in WB along this path (lets call it Path 1), and looked at the results for membrane + bending for my normal stress (SX for the model being analyzed).

Then I used the Mechanical APDL component system in the toolbox to open this same model in Classic. After opening this model in classic, I linearized the stress through the same path (Path 1), and looked at the results for membrane + bending for my normal stress (SX).

To my surprise the results were different for linearized stress along the same path with the same loading conditions, boundary conditions and geometry.

Am I neglecting something that would explain the difference in results?
My colleagues couldn't explain this difference and so I am hoping one of you can.

We also checked to see if this discrepancy occurred with other stress results such as linearized stress at a path that was 25" away from Path 1. Those results matched. Also when we plotted SX normal stress of the entire geometry that also matched. It seems that only at the location where the beam attaches to the block that the two results differ which seems interesting because I've always heard that the same FEM model in WB and Classic will generate the same results.

You can recreate the problem yourself using these generic dimensions : beam width = 4" (z) beam height = 12" (y) beam length = 120" (x). wall width = 8" wall height = 16" and wall depth = 4".

.5" Mesh : All volumes swept.
-1000 Lbf vertical load (+y up) and 1000 Lbf axial load (+x away from wall).
Fully fixed support on aft side wall faces normal to x-axis.

Or you can download the example below and investigate from there.

http://myaccount.dropsend.com/file/4bed732afee97d4a (I used a free site to upload an example problem. Unfortunately it only allows 10 downloads over the next 7 days.)

Feel free to share your comments on what is driving this difference.

Thanks all!
phil.salois

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hello,

Just wanted to follow up on this question to see if anyone had an explanation for the discrepancy between ANSYS workbench and ANSYS classic when linearizing stress in a beam at the attachment point to a wall.

Thanks,
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    XANSYS Forum Index -> XANSYS